Aug 17, 2020
College of the Ozarks business students take Top Ten in national Phi Beta Lambda competitions
POINT LOOKOUT, MO. — College of the Ozarks business students participated in both state and national Phi Beta Lambda (PBL) competitions recently, via virtual formats. These competitions test the students’ aptitude in many business categories, such as economics, hospitality management, job interview, and small business management plan.
PBL faculty advisor Emily Emery is proud of the students’ knowledge, competitive edge, and ability to adapt in a new, virtual environment.
“Our students competed with students across the entire United States for the national competition, placing in the Top 10 for all events,” Emery said. “We are so excited for their accomplishments!”
Results from national competition
Lindsay Hemann, junior marketing major from Osage, Iowa, took eighth place in Information Management and Business Communication.
Dakota Cartwright, junior business management major from Rolla, Missouri, took seventh place in Contemporary Sports Issues and ninth place in Sports Management & Marketing.
Grace Carr, junior business management major from Hollister, Missouri, took seventh place in Job Interview and fifth place in Administrative Technology.
Results from state competition
Dakota Cartwright earned placement in the following categories:
- Retail Management- third place
- Sports Management and Marketing- first place
- Contemporary Sports Issues- second place
Lindsay Hemann earned placement in the following categories:
- Business Communications- second place
- Information Management- second place
- Marketing Analysis & Decision Making- first place
Ben Lunsford, sophomore business administration major from Harrison, Arkansas, earned placement in the following categories:
- Marketing Concepts- third place
- Macroeconomics- first place
Michael Maust, junior engineering major from Belton, Missouri, earned placement in the following categories:
- Small Business Management Plan- second place
- Entrepreneurship Concepts- first place
- Project Management- second place
Grace Carr earned placement in the following categories:
- Accounting Principles- ninth place
- Administrative Technology- second place
- Job Interview- first place
Rachel Virnig, junior business administration major from Sparta, Missouri, earned placement in the following categories:
- Marketing Concepts- seventh place
- Management Concepts- fourth place
Jamileysi Viviano Forbes, sophomore graphic design and public relations double major from Bilbao, Spain, earned placement in the following category:
- Entrepreneurship Concepts- sixth place