Oct 28, 2020
College of the Ozarks to celebrate Homecoming 2020: Your Time to Shine
POINT LOOKOUT, MO. – College of the Ozarks will kick off its virtual Homecoming 2020, themed Your Time to Shine, Friday-Sunday, Nov. 6-8. Homecoming weekend will consist of several virtual events, including alumni board and council meetings, the alumni memorial service, virtual class reunions, and virtual chapter meetings.
Angela Williamson, director of alumni relations, changed plans from live events to a virtual format for Homecoming 2020 based on COVID-19 guidelines.
“Our Homecoming tradition will continue in an abbreviated way this fall, with virtual events offered online Nov. 6-7,” Williamson said. “Many planned to return to celebrate milestone reunions, and we will honor all reunion years ending in ‘0’ and ‘5,’ along with the other designated reunions, at Homecoming 2021. Although our festivities have been changed to a virtual format, we look forward to celebrating friendships and reuniting from a distance as we celebrate Homecoming 2020 – Your Time to Shine.”
Schedule of Events
Thursday, Nov. 5
- 7-9 p.m. Miss Hard Work U. Coronation Coffee House (Student Event, Socially Distanced)
Friday, Nov. 6
- 3 p.m. Alumni Executive Board Meeting (Executive Board Event, Virtual)
- 4 p.m. Alumni Council Meeting (Alumni Council Event, Virtual)
Saturday, Nov. 7
- 9 a.m. Alumni Association Annual Meeting (Alumni Event, Virtual)
- 10:15 a.m. Alumni Memorial Service (Alumni Event, Virtual, available to public via prerecorded link)
- The College will honor alumni who have passed away at the annual Memorial Service in a pre-recorded program.
- This will launch at 10:15 at www.cofo.edu/homecoming and remain online until Nov. 13.
- 11:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. Class Reunions (Alumni Event, Virtual)
- See detailed schedule below. Postcards were mailed to all alumni with a scheduled reunion. To request a private link for your class reunion, please register online or contact the Alumni Office at email@example.com
Class Reunion Schedule
11:30 a.m. Class of 1950 70th Reunion
11:30 a.m. Class of 1980 40th Reunion
1 p.m. Class of 1975 45th Reunion
1 p.m. Class of 1985 35th Reunion
2:15 p.m. Class of 1960 JC 60th Reunion
3 p.m. Class of 2000 20th Reunion
- 3:30 – 5 p.m. Chapter Meetings (Alumni Event, Virtual)
- See detailed schedule below. To request a private link for your chapter meeting, please register online or contact the Alumni Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
3:30 p.m. Veterans Alumni Chapter Meeting
4 p.m. Music Alumni Chapter
4 p.m. Winfrey Business Alumni Chapter
During the week leading to Homecoming 2020, students will celebrate with various activities. On Oct. 31, the top 10 candidates for Miss Hard Work U. will complete a campus community project. Student leaders have themed each day of the following week in honor of Homecoming, so that students can show their school spirit.
Ryan Knight, director of student activities, provided opportunities for students to interact and experience college life through socially distanced activities throughout the semester. He gave insight into the choice of the theme for this year’s homecoming.
“Even when going through difficult times, such as this pandemic, you can still leave an impact,” Knight said.
The top 10 Miss Hard Work U. candidates will submit an essay to determine who places in the top five. Following the scoring of the essays, Dean of Students Nick Sharp will announce the top five candidates on Oct. 28. They participate in interviews with a panel of judges on Oct. 29. The interviews will be recorded and sent out to students through email, and C of O student votes will be the deciding factor in crowning Miss Hard Work U.
The coronation ceremony will be held at the Miss Hard Work U. Coronation Coffee House on Nov. 5 from 7-9 p.m. College of the Ozarks will announce the winners via press release following this event.
For additional information, contact Public Relations Director Valorie Coleman at (417) 690-2212.
For more information regarding Homecoming 2020 events, contact the College of the Ozarks Alumni Office at (417) 690-2208.
To see a complete list of events, visit www.cofo.edu/homecoming