Work Education Program

How do students find out where they are assigned to work?

When assignments are complete, students will be sent a link via their College of the Ozarks email with instruction on how to access their work assignment.

How do students receive their work schedules?

Work supervisors will coordinate work schedules around each student’s class schedule and communicate through email or on in person on work training day.

When may students apply to transfer to a different workstation?

Students are assigned to a more basic work assignment that is service-oriented for two semesters prior to receiving a transfer. Students have the opportunity to apply for another workstation every semester. Transfers are largely based on work performance records, needs of the College, and availability. Strong work performance and a positive attitude go a long way at "Hard Work U". It is highly recommended that students wanting to transfer workstations interview with each supervisor they are interested in working for. This will allow them to hone their interviewing skills and increase their chances of obtaining a transfer.

What type of clothes do students need to bring for work?

Casual dress is accepted at most workstations; however, some workstations require uniforms. Each workstation has its own dress code and it’s best to check with the workstation for any specific dress code regulations. Business/administrative offices require higher standards of apparel.

How do students sign up for required 40-hour work weeks?

Students are required to work two 40-hour work weeks per year, when classes are not in session. These work weeks are determined by the need of each workstation and will be contracted the first couple weeks of the semester with your work supervisor.

Are students required to work holidays?

Certain workstations require work during the Christmas and Thanksgiving and holiday work weeks. Typically, the business and academic offices are closed during these weeks, but workstations such as food service, switchboard, power plant, etc. require workers to remain on campus to facilitate these essential services.

What happens when students are placed on Work Probation?

Students are placed on Work Probation when they receive a work performance grade of less than a C- or when there is some incident that warrants probationary status. Students may remain on probation for one or two semesters, depending on the circumstance. Students on work probation may not participate in athletics or other extra-curricular events until removal from probation.

What happens when students miss work due to illness?

The student is responsible to communicate all medical related absences with their professor(s) and/or work supervisor(s).  The Armstrong McDonald Clinic does not provide routine written medical excuses for short-term absences from class or work due to illness or injury.

How do students makeup hours when they fall behind?

Students may fall behind on their work hours for various reasons; some of which are excused absences and others that may not be excused. Students must first attempt to make up hours by discussing and coordinating with their supervisor, and then discuss with the Work Education office, when necessary, to add an additional work week.

What do work hours pay for?

Students work 15 hours per week, and two 40-hour work weeks during the academic year. These hours are applied to the Tuition Assurance, which is $19,800 annually for the 2022-23 academic year. These work hours account for $6,720 of the Tuition Assurance, with state and federal grants (if students qualify), and a scholarship from the College covering the remainder. If students participate in the summer work program, these hours are applied toward room and board charges for the upcoming academic year. Students work one of two options: Twelve weeks at 40 hours per week, or six weeks at 40 hours per week. Under the first option, room and board is covered for the entire upcoming academic year, and under the second option only one semester is covered. Information about the Summer Work Scholarship is available on the C of O scholarships page, and information about the work program in general and summer work on the work education page.

How are students selected for the Summer Work Education Program Room and Board Scholarship?

Any full-time, residence hall student may apply to work for six weeks or the full twelve weeks during the summer. Each six-week period worked will cover the room and board costs for one semester of the following academic year. It will also cover room and board during the summer work period. All students are selected based on demonstrated financial need according to the FAFSA. This is another reason it is so important to complete the FAFSA in a timely manner. Returning students apply for the Summer Work Program during the month of February and new students may apply immediately after they have been admitted to the College. Information about the Summer Work Scholarship is available at C of O scholarships page, and information about the work program in general and summer work is available at the work education page.

May students working in the Summer Work Education Program (SWEP) also work off campus jobs during the summer?

Yes, students will have access to their vehicles during the week and on weekends and many choose to work off campus to earn extra money. Campus work responsibilities will always take priority over off-campus work.

Can first-time students elect to work only one of the two six-week periods?

Yes, but they are only permitted to work the second six-week period. We do not believe it is in the students' best interest to come for the first six-week period, then return home. We believe that such a situation would be disruptive to the students' routine, and could inadvertently encourage them to remain home, as opposed to returning to campus.

What are the requirements for working in the Summer Work Education Program (SWEP)?

Students are required to work 40 hours a week during the contracted period. Students deciding to leave the SWEP, who fail to complete their contracted agreement, risk not being allowed to enroll the following semester.