The Keeter Center
The Keeter Center, architecturally inspired
by the first building on the Point Lookout campus - Dobyns Hall - sits at the entrance
to the campus and houses a restaurant, lodge, and gift shop. Dobyns Dining Room is open
for lunch and dinner Monday-Saturday and for brunch on Sunday. Student-made items are
available for purchase in the Beulah Winfrey Gift Shop. The Keeter Center is also home
to the College's Character Education Program.
Gaetz Tractor Museum
The Gaetz Tractor Museum may be small, but the atmosphere takes visitors back in time.
Highlights of this attraction include a Canadian 1919 Massey-Harris, a 1935 John Deere
B, a 1930 Rumely 6A and much more. Other machinery, such as an antique Marseilles-Adams
cyclone feed power corn sheller, add variety to the exhibit.
Also on display is an impressive collection of tractor seats, along with other farm implements, such as plows, harnesses and saws.
The Gaetz Tractor Museum is free and is open to the public during normal business hours.
W. Alton Jones Dairy
Next to the Gaetz Tractor Museum is the C of O Dairy.
Students milk 60 cows every morning at 5 a.m. and every evening at 5 p.m.
The dairy is a long-standing tradition at Hard Work U., and the College has
had an impressive Holstein herd since the early 1940s. The milk produced by the dairy is used all over campus,
like in the student dining center and the Dobyns Dining Room restaurant at The Keeter Center.
C of O Greenhouses
East of Edwards Mill, the College of the Ozarks greenhouses are the home of the McDade Orchid Collection.
In 1972, alumnus Clint McDade gave the nucleus of his collection of blooming orchid plants
to The School of the Ozarks, making it necessary for The School to build three greenhouses.
Today, the collection has over 7,000 plants, cared for by students. These award-winning orchids
can be viewed by the public. Hours of operation are Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
On Sunday, they are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., excluding 11 a.m. to noon in observance of chapel service.
Individual orchids and other houseplants are for sale at the greenhouse. Just ask one of the students for details.
Edwards Mill, built with funds provided by the late Mr. and Mrs. Hubert C. Edwards,
is powered by a twelve-foot water wheel turned by runoff water from nearby Lake Honor.
Student workers grind whole-grain meal and flour, available for purchase inside the building.
Upstairs is a weaving studio, where students design and produce rugs, shawls,
placemats and other items on traditional looms. Downstairs, students hand-weave baskets.
Fruitcake and Jelly Kitchen
Fruitcake and Jelly Kitchen, since 1934, College of the Ozarks has produced its famous
fruitcakes on campus, and today student workers, along with supervisors, bake more than
40,000 cakes a year. Visitors are welcome in the kitchen where a
variety of jellies and the College's delicious apple butter are also made and sold.
Williams Memorial Chapel
Literally and figuratively, the Williams Memorial Chapel is in the center of our campus.
Dedicated in May of 1958, the Chapel was constructed with student labor of native limestone.
The Chapel is 150 feet long, 80 feet wide, and 80 feet from floor to ceiling, with a seating capacity of 1,000.
L.W. Hyer, a St. Louis bachelor and longtime friend of The School of the Ozarks, donated the money to construct the
bell tower and carillon. The Hyer Bell Tower is 120 feet high and contains 55,000 pounds of bells, the largest weighing 400 pounds.
The bells are operated electronically and play hymns at noon and 6 p.m. The windows are of fine stained glass
and were purchased from the Chicago studios of Gianinni & Hilgart. Most of the glass was imported from Austria.
Inter-denominational services are held on Sunday mornings at 11 a.m. and are open to the public.
This scenic overlook is where the campus got its name—the panoramic Point Lookout.
You can find this scenic gem west of Williams Chapel. Point Lookout overlooks Lake Taneycomo
and neighboring farmland with the tourism mecca of Branson as the back drop.
This natural attraction is open any time of day,
but make your way over to the Point at sunset to get a picture to remember.
Ralph Foster Museum
The rich history of the Ozarks region has been carefully preserved in what has been called the
“Smithsonian of the Ozarks,” otherwise known as the Ralph Foster Museum. A variety of exhibits,
ranging from “Firearms through the Ages” and the Rose O’Neill Kewpie doll collection to the
famous truck from the Beverly Hillbillies television show, are sure to be of interest to all ages.
Other displays include doll and music collections, Native American artifacts and animal exhibits.
Children will especially enjoy the educational Children’s Discovery Room, a hands-on exhibit especially
designed for elementary school-age children. This room teaches kids about such subjects as the solar
system and time zones of the world through its interactive and colorful displays.
There is a small charge to tour the Museum. Adults are $6.00; senior citizens are $5.00; and ages 18 and under are free.
Visitors may tour the Ralph Foster Museum Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Doc Good Park
Doc Good Park was named for long-time President of The School of the Ozarks Robert M. Good,
who was affectionately known as “Doc Good.” It is located adjacent to the Ralph Foster Museum.
A prominent feature of the Park is its manicured flower beds, which depict the College of the Ozarks
mission symbols. With shade, a soothing fountain, and public restrooms,
Doc Good Parks makes a nice place to eat a sack lunch or rest.
At trip to the Ralph Foster Museum would not be complete without visiting the Star Schoolhouse.
Originally built in 1910, the one-room school was relocated from Barry County, Missouri to Point Lookout for preservation in 1981.
Complete with desks, McGuffey’s Readers, and an authentic school marm costume, the
Star School House will give you a look at what it was like to attend grade school back in the early 1900s.
The Star Schoolhouse is open Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
There is no charge to visit the Star Schoolhouse.
Memorial Fieldhouse & Keeter Gymnasium
The Memorial Field House houses the Keeter Gymnasium. This building is home to the National
Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Division II National Basketball Tournament, and it is
also home to both the 2006 National Champion Bobcats and 2006 and 2007 National Runner-Up Lady Bobcats.
Many other campus events are held in the gymnasium including Baccalaureate, Commencement and major convocations.
Students, faculty, staff, and community members attend the convocations, which feature speakers such as
Lady Margaret Thatcher, General Colin Powell, General Norman Schwarzkopf, Former Israeli Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu, former NBC Correspondent Tom Brokaw, and Senator Elizabeth Dole. These convocations are part of
The Keeter Center for Character Education and discuss and promote topics of character development.
Missouri Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Lest We Forget 9/11 Memorial
Farmers Market (Seasonal)
Originally The Friendship House, renovated and renamed in 2005,
The Alumni Center serves as the main meeting place for returning graduates of The College.
A welcome center for visitors is located on the east side of the building inside the Public Relations Office.
Youngman Agriculture Center
Home to one of the largest majors on campus, the Youngman Agriculture Center is equipped with laboratories, a computer room,
and an agriculture library. The top floor of the Agriculture Center hosts many banquets throughout the year.
Good Memorial College Center
The Good Memorial College Center houses the College Bookstore on the first floor, Pearl Rogers Student Dining Hall on the second floor,
and School of the Ozarks, a college preparatory lab school for grades 9-12, on the third floor. The Bookstore welcomes visitors Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
Western Taney County’s first volunteer fire department was established in this building in 1975. Student volunteer firefighters serve the campus.
Family and Consumer Science Building
In this building, kitchens and sewing rooms serve as classrooms for clothing and textiles, foods, and nutrition classes.
This building serves as an official location of the United States Postal Service.
The Admissions and Financial Aid offices are located on the second story. The Dean of the College, Registrar, Dean of Work,
Dean of Administration, and Dean of Students is located on the first floor.
Pfeiffer Science Building
The Pfeiffer Science Building, built in 1974, is home to the Math and Science Departments.
Plaster Business Building
Departments inside the Plaster Business Building include Criminal Justice, Speech, Computer Science, and Business. An auditorium is
located on the north side of the building and can be accessed through the main entrance.
Jamison Mass Media Building
Instructor’s offices and classrooms for journalism, radio, and media production are located in the Mass Media building. The stained glass studio is also
located on the first floor. Stained glass items are available for purchase at The Keeter Center Gift Shop.
The Business Office and the Development Office are on the main level of Berger Hall. Upstairs, students utilize the Career
Development Center. The Keeter Center for Character Education is also on the top floor of Berger Hall.
Originally the Wilk Hyer Canning Factory, the College Press was moved
to this building in 1968 where it continues to produce all of the college’s printed publications.
Built in 1964, Ashcroft Hall is a women’s residence named after a generous
supporter and former member of the Board of Trustees, Joseph Ashcroft of Poplar Bluff, Missouri.
Mabee Hall is the largest women’s residence. Five floors of suite-style rooms are accessible by elevator.
Memorial Hall was constructed in 1942 and is a women’s residence.
Gittinger Music Center
Originally Jordan Music Building, renovated and renamed in 2002, The Gittinger Music Center serves as a learning and
practice facility for The College Handbell Choir, Chorale, Screaming Bobcats Pep Band, and Chapel Choir.
The clinic is a learning workstation for student workers who are majoring in various medical fields. Students receive health care services from the
campus nurse during clinic hours. The Armstrong McDonald Nursing Learning Simulation Center is also located in the west wing of this building.
Jones Learning Center
The Jones Learning Center is a multi-purpose academic building for studies in the humanities. Throughout the school year, the
Jones Auditorium hosts convocations and
Theatre productions. The Boger Art Gallery, located on the first floor, features seasonal art exhibits.
Gittinger Christian Ministries
Originally the Thompson Building, renovated and renamed in 2000, The Gittinger Christian Ministries Building is the
center of activity for campus and community outreach. The Bonner Community Service department works with
Samaritan’s Purse for the Operation Christmas Child project, and World Vision for the 30 Hour Famine project.
Lyons Memorial Library
Opened in 1964, the Lyons Memorial Library serves students, faculty, community members, and other educational institutions
by providing resources for teaching and research and promoting an attitude of intellectual curiosity.
Opened in Fall 2008, McKibben Center is a building dedicated to the training of teachers and nurses.
The first and second floors of the new McKibben Center are dedicated to Education courses as well as a few courses in the humanities,
while the third floor is home of the Nursing Program. The new
building is equipped with the latest instructional technology necessary for preparing effective Pre K-12 and nursing professionals.
Foster Hall, built in 1943, is a women’s residence.
Youngman Hall is a men’s residence.
Kelce Hall is a men’s residence.
Mann Hall is a women’s residence.
Barrett Hall is a men’s residence.