Applications & Checklists
Program Applications & Requirements
Teacher Education Program
To apply for admission to the Teacher Education Program at College of the Ozarks, you must meet the following general requirements:
- Be currently enrolled at College of the Ozarks
- Have a minimum of 30 credit hours
- Have attended C of O for at least one semester
- Have taken EDU213 Orientation to Teaching
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 to be accepted and remain in the Teacher Education Program
- Have taken either the ACT or SAT, and a copy of your score must be on file in the Education Department
- Have passed all areas of the state-mandated general education assessment (MoGEA) and a copy of your scores on file in the Education Department
- Complete the application form in its entirety, along with a typed document stating why you are choosing teaching as a profession, and submit the paperwork to the Education Office.
Student Teacher Program
To apply for the Student Teacher Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have been admitted to the Teacher Education Program
- Have a minimum cumulative overall GPA of 2.75
- Have a minimum content (major field) GPA of 3.0 and a minimum professional education GPA of 3.0 by the completion of the program in order to obtain teacher certification in Missouri
- Have no grade less than a "C-" in required education and major courses
- Have completed all course requirements except for Teacher Assistant and Student Teaching, or made prior arrangements with the Director of Teacher Education
- Complete the application form in its entirety, and submit the paperwork to the Education Office
Prior to student teaching, the student must pass the state-mandated exit exam in his/her subject area, obtain liability insurance for the duration of the student teaching experience, and provide documentation to the Education Department that a background check/fingerprinting has been completed.
Application forms: Available in the Teacher Education Office, MiKibben Center
Advising and Checklists
College of the Ozarks takes pride in the extensive advising opportunities offered by faculty members. Both students and faculty benefit from these contacts, and personalized counseling and advising becomes much more effective in helping you decide upon and achieve your specific career goals.
Upon enrollment, you will be assigned an advisor who is well versed in program requirements for your field of study. Advisors meet with students prior to each semester’s registration ensuring appropriate coursework is being taken to satisfy your degree requirements in a timely manner.
Checklists that outline degree and certification requirements are available for each education major to assist in preparing a plan for program completion.
Agriculture / Secondary Education
Art (K-12) / Secondary Education
Biology / Secondary Education
Chemistry / Secondary Education
Elementary Education with Early Childhood Concentration
English / Secondary Education
Mathematics / Secondary Education
Middle School Endorsements (Elementary Education)
Middle School Endorsements (Secondary Education)
Instrumental Music / Secondary Education
Vocal / Choral Music / Secondary Education
Physical Education (K-12) / Secondary Education
Social Science (History) / Secondary Education
Speech / Theatre Secondary Education
World Language / Secondary Education